Hi, friends.  I know this is really challenging and we are all exhausted.  This post is my way of providing support and encouragement – as well as bringing math joy to your classroom…

I’m going to stick with you all year long.

To do that, I am going to post a new math resource every school day for the rest of the school year.  Here is the plan:

Every Monday – Brand New Estimation Clipboard (suitable for all grade levels)

Every Tuesday – Brand New Esti-Mystery for Grades K-2

Every Wednesday – Brand New Esti-Mystery for Grades 1-3

Every Thursday – Brand New Esti-Mystery for Grades 3-8

Every Friday – Brand New Mystery Number Sense Resource

I’ll post a new resource every school day each week (except for holidays) from now through May 1.  You will be able to find all of the resources on this blog post.

In addition, I’ll post updates on my YouTube channel.

If you find this useful, let me know – and I’d love to hear where you are from – in the comments below.

Let’s begin…

Monday, November 2

Estimation Clipboard 41   (This is #41 because there are 40 prior clipboards)

Here is a short video for teachers of Estimation Clipboard 41 on YouTube with tips and directions.

Tuesday, November 3

Kindergarten:  Esti-Mystery 01 – “Pile of Game Pieces”

Grades 1-2:   Esti-Mystery 116 – “Mystery Pieces”

Wednesday, November 4

Grades 1-3:  Esti-Mystery 214 – “Sometimes There Are Clues on the Die”

Thursday, November 5 – Esti-Mystery (3-8)

Grades 3-8: Esti-Mystery 317 – “Pieces of the Mystery”

Friday, November 6 – Mystery Number Sense Resource (All Grade Levels)

The Friday Mystery Resource this week is…

Melting Cubes

1.  Choose a level that is a good match for your class.
  2. Play the PowerPoint
  3. Follow the question prompts on the bottom of the screen.
  4. Listen to the number sense ideas in your classroom.
  5. Enjoy the reveal!

Monday, November 9

Estimation Clipboard #42  (All Grade Levels)

Tuesday, November 10

Kindergarten:  Esti-Mystery 02 – “Spools of Thread”

Grades 1-2:  Esti-Mystery 117 – “Follow the Thread”

Wednesday, November 11

Grades 1-3:  Esti-Mystery 215 – “Vase of Thread”

Thursday, November 12

Grades 3-8:  Esti-Mystery 318 – “A Thread Less Than a Multiple of 9”

Friday, November 13

How Many Cubes and How Do You Know  (All Grade Levels)

Monday, November 16

Estimation Clipboard #43  (All Grade Levels)

Tuesday, November 17

Kindergarten:  Esti-Mystery 03 – “Pile of Pompoms”

Grades 1-2:  Esti-Mystery 118 – “Vase of Pompoms”

Wednesday, November 18

Grades 1-3:  Esti-Mystery 216 – “Six Colors of Pompoms”

***This is a Chart-Embedded Esti-Mystery!!!

Thursday, November 19

Grades 3-8:  Esti-Mystery 319 – “That’s Odd”

Friday, November 20

Splat Medley (All Grade Levels)

November 23-27, 2020

Note:  I will be on Thanksgiving break this week, so I’m posting the entire week before the week begins.  Enjoy!

Monday, November 23

Estimation Clipboard #44  (All Grade Levels)

Tuesday, November 24

Kindergarten:  Esti-Mystery 04 – “It Looks Like Snow”

Grades 1-2:  Esti-Mystery 119 – “Snowy Spheres”

Wednesday, November 25

Grades 1-3:  Esti-Mystery 217 – “That is a Lot!”

Thursday, November 26

Grades 3-8:  Esti-Mystery 320 – “Snowy Challenge”

Friday , November 27

Splat Medley #2  (All Grade Levels)

Monday, November 30

Estimation Clipboard #45  (All Grade Levels)

Tuesday, December 1

Kindergarten:  Esti-Mystery 05 – “Less or More”

Grades 1-2:  Esti-Mystery 120 – “Double Digits”

Wednesday, December 2

Grades 1-3:  Esti-Mystery 218 – “Counting On Buttons”

When will the resources be posted?

I’ll post them the evening before the date listed so they will be ready.  I’ll post them sometime after I return home from school.

Is this content new?

Everything will be completely new.  I have a journey of creation in front of me, and I look forward to sharing it with you!

Other Posts You May Enjoy

51 Esti-Mysteries

Splat!

Splat for Google Slides

185 Comments

1. Cara Altice on December 1, 2020 at 6:43 am

For some reason when I try to open an activity the screen is just blank. I don’t have an option to open any of the activities any other way except in a new tab. I had my tech people check it to see if there was something blocking it but they couldn’t figure it out! I was hoping you may be able to shed some light. I have been wanting to use these resources for such a long time! Thank you so much. You are wonderful!

• Steve Wyborney on December 1, 2020 at 8:40 pm

Hi, Cara. Thank you for this question. Are you using PowerPoint, Google Slides, or something else?

2. Lori on November 30, 2020 at 7:49 am

Thank you so much for the embedded chart! As others have said it was a challenge to share the mystery and the 100 chart. I use these as part of my morning meetings for an activity on “Mystery Mondays”
    Thank you for all you do to make math fun and engaging for the kiddos and take work off teachers’ plates!

• Steve Wyborney on November 30, 2020 at 8:44 pm

I’m so glad it is helpful, Lori. I really appreciate this comment!

• Lori M on December 1, 2020 at 7:24 am

Thank you so much for these resources! They are fantastic! It really helps to have these for distance learning. You must work all the time. I hope that you take some time for yourself so that you don’t get burned out. God Bless You!

• Steve Wyborney on December 1, 2020 at 8:45 pm

Thanks, Lori! I really appreciate it. Yes, it is a lot of time and a lot of work, but I do enjoy it. I will certainly take time to rest. Distance learning is such a challenge for all of us – and I’m happy to do what I can to help others. It’s so wonderful to hear how these resources are helpful. Wishing you a wonderful day!

3. Jennifer on November 30, 2020 at 6:44 am

Thank you so much for these amazing resources! My Grade 3 class loves them, it really stretches their thinking in a fun way 🙂

• Steve Wyborney on November 30, 2020 at 6:51 am

Jennifer, I’m so glad your Grade 3 class loves them so much. It’s great to hear that it stretches their thinking, too. I look forward to posting many more resources. Have a wonderful week!

4. Margaret Gregg on November 30, 2020 at 4:55 am

Brilliant! My Y6’s (age 10-11) complete one of these tasks on a Thursday mornimg. They’re really developing strategies for identifying the answer.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Steve Wyborney on November 30, 2020 at 6:50 am

Margaret, this is great to hear! Have a wonderful week!

5. Lisa on November 30, 2020 at 4:50 am

These are amazing to use in an in-person classroom, and a Godsend for virtual instruction! My students would do these every day if they could (I only have 30 minutes with my Intervention students each day). The work you are doing here is a gift to educators everywhere. Thank you from NJ!

• Steve Wyborney on November 30, 2020 at 6:50 am

I really appreciate this, Lisa. It is my hope that this will be a tremendous help to educators everywhere and that it will be particularly helpful during this challenging time when many of us are in distance learning.

6. Teresa Card on November 29, 2020 at 6:57 pm

Hi Steve, I am anxious to use Esti-mysteries and your number sense routines in my class but I do not have ppt. I have OpenOffice but cannot get the presentation to play properly. How do I open it in Google slides or do you know of a way that I can use it with OpenOffice? Thank you!

• Steve Wyborney on November 30, 2020 at 6:48 am

Hi, Teresa. If you can download the file and then save it to your google drive you can play it there using google slides. Once it is in your google drive, right click the file and then choose “open with” and then slides and then click present. I hope that helps.

7. Kelli Fisher on November 23, 2020 at 12:08 pm

Without reading through all of your comments (there are a lot) I’m unsure if this has come up before. I am planning on having my 5th graders create their own “esti-mysteries” on PPT. Have other teachers done this? I’ve looked at the course you provide for teachers and I’m simplifying and modifying for my students. Or do you already have something like this for students?

I’m looking forward to trying this out as it seems like it could be very engaging during remote learning. We have been using your esti-mysteries for a while so they are excited to make their own!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Hi, Kelli. I’m so glad you are going to do this with your students. I haven’t made a student version of the course, just the one that shows educators how to create Esti-Mysteries. However, the principles are the same. I think this will be a great experience for your students!

• Terrie Morris on November 29, 2020 at 7:05 pm

I have done this with my fourth grade students for a coupe of years. They love it. It is a lot more difficult than they think it will be. They have a tough time giving clues that lead to only one reasonable number or writing clues that truly make sense. You need adults to help them figure out if their clues work so the other kids don’t figure out their answer ahead of time. It is an awesome learning experience for all involved.
      T. Morris

8. Sue from Ontario on November 23, 2020 at 6:10 am

Many thanks for your awesome resources! This year I am using a different one each day to help with student engagement. Math is so different this year and I am thankful that you have provided so many different ways of engaging students. Enjoy a well-deserved rest this week with your family.

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 10:54 am

You are certainly welcome, Sue. I am very much looking forward to a restful break. Many more materials to come!

9. James Six-Fronek on November 22, 2020 at 9:52 am

Steve, I have to say my students have always loved your Esti-Mysteries, and they especially choose it most often for our Fun Day Friday Math. I use this with my small groups of students that meet with me and they just love working through all the clues and love the countdown to the reveal.

Thanks again for this great resource that I’ve been using for years!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 10:55 am

Hi, James. I really love the excitement leading up to the reveal. I’m so glad your class likes the resources, and you are certainly welcome. I look forward to posting many more soon!

10. Carissa Hanson on November 20, 2020 at 4:38 pm

You are my very favourite right now. My kids love these and after two weeks of practice I’m sharing them in present mode for kids to work on on their own. THANK YOU!!!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 11:02 am

That’s great to hear, Carissa. Students who create their own have such a powerful learning experience. I really appreciate the comment!

11. Leslie on November 20, 2020 at 1:40 pm

My students LOVE these esti-mysteries. One of my 6th graders said, “I’m not good at math but I’m great at these!” to which I responded, this is math! His response: WHHHHHAT??? It was such a great moment- thank you for that!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 11:03 am

Thank you for sharing this with me, Leslie!

12. Sarah Fryer on November 19, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Thank you SO much for all the work you do to provide these wonderful resources. My grade 3 class on Vancouver Island LOVE the Esti-Mysteries. We do one every week!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 11:06 am

Thank you for letting me know this, Sarah. I’ll be taking some time to rest this week of Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) but have posted materials for the entire week for everyone who is still in school this week.

13. Janet Dill on November 19, 2020 at 8:20 pm

Thank you for the extra resources! Engagement can be tough in a virtual environment, but your resources always draw students in. We appreciate you for making them available!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 11:07 am

Hi, Janet! It’s my pleasure to share. I’m also trying to find my way through the challenges of engagement in a virtual environment so I’m very happy to share what I’m learning.

14. Marilyn Torvik on November 18, 2020 at 7:58 pm

Thank you for these engaging activites. I can’t wait to try some with my first graders. I am from the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 11:09 am

Hi, Marilyn. Greetings from Oregon. You re certainly welcome, and I hope your first grade students love them!

15. Kim on November 18, 2020 at 3:15 pm

This is so great!!!
    Can’t thank you enough!
    The kids love math time!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 11:09 am

This is great to hear, Kim! You are welcome. Enjoy!

16. KARRI S ANKROM on November 18, 2020 at 10:49 am

Thank you for your creation Steve. The Esti-mysteries are so popular with my students. Even my reluctant learners enjoy participating in these and distance learners are more engaged. These are a wonderful way to get students estimating, using number sense, and practicing skills presented in the clues, and all in a fun way! Thank you for including the built in chart. When I present these while using zoom, I find it difficult to switch back and forth to a chart, so when you have it built in, it is so helpful. You know exactly what teachers need! I use them in the middle of my long double block math classes because it allows for a nice break in the routine. Much appreciated!

Karri

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 11:11 am

Karri, I am so grateful for this feedback. I had wondered about placing the charts on the Esti-Mysteries and hearing this feedback helps me know that that was a good decision. I’m glad the materials are so helpful during your double block.

17. Steph in Ontario on November 18, 2020 at 9:58 am

Hi Steve,
    We do an esti-mystery most Wednesdays in our Grade 2/3 class. Today we tried it with the embedded chart (third option) and it really helped their thinking.
    Thanks for your awesome resources!

• Steve Wyborney on November 22, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Hi, Steph. This is really helpful to hear! There will be charts on the upcoming Esti-Mysteries as an option if anyone wants to use them.

18. Lorri Saracini on November 18, 2020 at 6:36 am

I did not think you could make these better, but you did. I had removed the animated charts from a couple of the previous Esti-Mysteries so my students could determine the eliminations, and write them on the board. But, I didn’t think to add a chart to the slide and then use an annotate tool.
    Great addition. Thank you SO much for these lessons. I am an intervention teacher for grades 1-6; this resource is a fabulous addition to my classes!!
    🙂

• Steve Wyborney on November 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm

Lorri, I appreciate your kind words, and I’m so glad this is helpful.

19. JennyB on November 17, 2020 at 8:08 pm

Hi Steve, Your recent email (Nov.16, 2020) asked for opinions regarding charts that are listed in Kindergarten problems.
    Last spring we did esti-mysteries as one of our days for elearning on group meetings. I had one screen with the esti-mystery playing. Then another browser window so I could show an interactive 100s chart – so we could narrow down our choices. Then I’d split the screen size so students could see everything.
    It would be helpful if everything was on one page. Thanks so much for making esti-mysteries and splat available to me.

Question: Do you know the directions to play https://mathigon.org/multiply Multiplication by Heart. Do my kids need to log in? When do they advance to the next level? What does “skip one day” mean? I appreciate any help.
    Thanks JennyB

• Steve Wyborney on November 22, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Hi, Jenny. Thank you for this feedback. It is very helpful, and I will include charts as an option on Esti-Mysteries now. I’m not familiar with mathigon or I would provide insight on it. I hope you have a great week!

20. Diandra on November 17, 2020 at 12:53 pm

Hi Steve,
    I teach in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia and I just wanted to thank you for your amazing resources. I do an Esti-Mystery with my middle schoolers every Friday and we all look forward to it weekly. It has bought a lot of fun and joy to our Math learning. Thank you!

• Steve Wyborney on November 17, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Hi, Diandra! Thank you for sharing this with me – I really appreciate it! I hope you have a wonderful Esti-Mystery Friday this week. I love hearing about joy in learning!

21. Tammy P. on November 17, 2020 at 7:18 am

Thank you so much for creating and sharing these Esti-Mysteries. I would love to have more 2nd grade Esti-Mysteries with the chart to show how to fill it in. My students really love Esti-Mysteries but for now at least, they are still struggling with some of the concepts and find it challenging to fill out their own chart with the information from the clues. I would love for them to be able to see what their chart should look like after each clue.

Additionally, I purchased the Esti-Mystery Creator course and found it so interesting and helpful for learning how to create Esti-Mysteries. I do not recall instructions/templates there for creating Esti-Mysteries with the charts embedded and I am wondering if these are available as well.

Thank you again for all of the amazing resources that you have created and shared so thoughtfully. We look forward to your year of math resources.

• Steve Wyborney on November 17, 2020 at 7:21 pm

Hi, Tammy! Thank you for so much for sharing this comment. Also, thank you for purchasing the course! The embedded charts weren’t part of the course, and I actually haven’t created very many Esti-Mysteries that have them. I’m seeing that they could be very beneficial for distance learning so I’m strongly considering adding them in. For embedding charts, I actually don’t have a template right now, so it wasn’t ever part of the original course. If I do decide to start embedding them in the new Esti-Mysteries, I think that creating that template (or a small handful of templates) will be one of my first steps so I can sustain the process. That might be a good a template for me to go back and add in to the course after I become more and more proficient with how to do it efficiently. I really appreciate this comment!

22. Lori Jacobsen on November 17, 2020 at 7:06 am

I would love an embedded chart in the first grade estimysteries! We love using your resources!! Thank you so much!

• Steve Wyborney on November 17, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Thank you, Lori. This is very helpful to know. I’ll see what I can do on this. I’m processing this idea pretty quickly and hope to have something helpful soon.

23. Meridee on November 17, 2020 at 6:49 am

Thank you so much for all the wonderful work that you do and for sharing it all with us! I would love to see the charts at all grade levels. I am a middle school math interventionist and I have kids of varied abilities. The charts would definitely help especially for my virtual and hybrid kids.

• Steve Wyborney on November 17, 2020 at 7:12 pm

Meridee, I’m so very glad you shared this with me. I’m hearing that it could be beneficial at all of the grade levels so I’m processing through how to make that happen. More to come soon on this one. Thank you so much for taking time to send a comment. I know we are also so very busy, and I’m grateful for your time.

24. Becki Arlington on November 17, 2020 at 5:29 am

Thank you so much for all of your hard work and dedication! I love getting your emails with new tasks. I have been using your resources for a few years in all kinds of math settings- with children and adults!
    You mentioned the charts in the kindergarten Esti Mystery and inquired if that would be helpful at other levels- YES! I have been using Esti Mysteries with my remote students, but it is challenging because they are having a hard time keeping up with supplies at home. Having the charts embedded would be wonderful!
    Thanks again!

• Steve Wyborney on November 17, 2020 at 7:10 pm

Becki, this is really helpful. I know keeping up with supplies at home can be a challenge. Stay tuned as I work on seeing what I can do. My thought is that this could be very beneficial. I’m going to see what I can do tonight for tomorrow’s Esti-Mystery.

25. Mary on November 17, 2020 at 3:52 am

I would LOVE to have the chart embedded for 2nd grade! Last year, I printed your charts and hung them up from by my projector board and modeled how to use it to solve the mysteries with the clues. I also printed student copies for them to use along with me. With students in rows in the classroom and some students joining from home, it would be wonderful to have the chart right in the slides for 2nd grade-so the children can see it a bit more easily… plus use it to show their work via Seesaw. Thank you! I love ALL of your resources and have used them for the past few years. I love how excited the children get to solve them… how much they learn from each other when they share out their thinking… and how every child can be successful. Thank you for making these daily resources for us this year, too. Amazing!

• Steve Wyborney on November 17, 2020 at 7:07 pm

Hi, Mary! I’m grateful for this feedback. It’s great to hear how you’ve been using it and also how the embedded charts may be helpful. I appreciate your kinds words!

26. Jessica on November 16, 2020 at 7:52 pm

Hello, I tell my 3rd grade students you are one of my math heroes! In regards to whether to embed the hundreds chart in the esti-mysteries, I’ve actually put one in Seesaw and as we go through the clues the students can annotate on the chart themselves. This generates some great discussions about patterns. It takes a bit longer in the beginning but they’ve become real pros at this point in the year. Thank you for all your hard work! It is much appreciated!

• Steve Wyborney on November 17, 2020 at 7:06 pm

Jessica, I appreciate this feedback! Seesaw is a great tool and I’m glad to hear how you are using this. Whenever students can annotate and discuss the math can move to a powerful and joyful place. I love your strategy!

27. Carmen Holder on November 16, 2020 at 12:38 am

This is amazing! Thank you! Are these accessible using google slides or do you have to use Power Point? Thank you again!

• Steve Wyborney on November 16, 2020 at 7:03 pm

Hi, Carmen! Yes, you can use google slides. Just download the PPT, save it in your google drive, then open with google slides. All of the animations I’m using are chosen because the work in both formats. Enjoy!

28. Harriet Watson on November 15, 2020 at 7:11 pm

Wow! Thank you for being so generous! I love sharing the joy of math with my third graders in the redwoods of northern California. Many of them (and their families) think math is hard, not fun, and is only about calculating. I am determined to change their minds. Thanks so much for sharing your work.
    Times are hard. Let’s find joy where we can, and let’s making thinking joyfu;.
    Harriet

• Steve Wyborney on November 16, 2020 at 7:04 pm

I’m so happy to share, Harriet! Keep up the great work in sharing the joy!

29. Debbie Comstock on November 13, 2020 at 9:24 am

My students love your activities! Thank you so much for your tireless efforts in helping us to foster our little mathematicians! You are simply amazing!

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 11:11 am

Hi, Debbie! I really appreciate this comment and your kind words. I will keep the materials coming.

30. Wade Wooley on November 13, 2020 at 7:21 am

Thank you so much for all of the time, effort, and brainpower that you put forth to create a multitude of resources for students and teachers. We are all better off because of the passion that you have and share. I wanted to share that I have used and shared your work with many. It made my heart happy when one day, I started seeing your work being used in my daughter’s first-grade classroom. I knew my daughter’s first-grade teacher was doing great things with her, but now I am even more convinced!

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 11:13 am

Hi, Wade! This is a really fun connection to hear about. I appreciate your sharing the work, and it’s really fun to hear how it is being used in your daughter’s classroom. Thank you for sharing this!

31. Jennifer on November 12, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Hi Steve. I am a teacher in Perth Western Australia, and my guys love, love, love these. Thankyou for all your hard work. I love the way you have them thinking deeply about Math.

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 11:15 am

Jennifer, I really appreciate this comment – and I’m so happy to know that students in Perth Western Australia are enjoying the materials. I’ll post many, many more! I really appreciate this comment and I hope to someday have the pleasure of visiting Australia!

32. Melissa on November 12, 2020 at 8:36 pm

Steve, these resources are so amazing! Thank you for sharing them freely with us. The kids love them and find them so engaging! I teach grade one and two on the Sunshine Coast in BC.

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 11:16 am

Melissa, thank you so very much. I’m glad that students on the Sunshine Cost in BC are enjoying them! I’m excited to share many more in the coming days, weeks, and months!

33. Jen Levy on November 12, 2020 at 1:40 pm

Steve,
    Your resources are superb for developing number sense and conceptual understanding. I have been using them for years and am just exploring your new multiplication course. I am floored to see you are putting up a new resource daily to support everyone. It is so appreciated and a great testament to the collaborative nature of the math community.
    Many thanks,
    Jen

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 11:20 am

Hi, Jen! I appreciate your kind words. Also, I’m really happy that you are exploring The Multiplication Course on YouTube. I’ll certainly keep the materials coming every day. I do love the math community, and I continue to learn so much from so many others!

34. Chris on November 12, 2020 at 8:41 am

I love your resources and use them with my 5th graders. I have kids at a wide range of abilities and they can all find a point of entry and ask to do the estimysteries, clipboard, and subitizing regularly. Additionally I have been sharing across the school and our district. Thank you for putting your energy out there and helping so many!

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 11:24 am

Thank you for this comment, Chris! That point of entry is really important to me when I design the materials. I’m so grateful that you detailed that. Another concept that build into the design of most of my materials is one that I call the Re-Invitation. That’s my term for the repeated opportunities for entry points all throughout the materials. The Estimation Clipboard is one of the best examples of that, but you’ll see it after each clue in Esti-Mysteries as well. It’s also propelled by the teacher’s use of the most important question in Splat, which is, “How else could you know?” I really appreciate the comment!

35. Deb L. , a fourth grade teacher from Iowa on November 12, 2020 at 5:29 am

Steve,
    Your dedication to providing high quality, mathematical material that can be used for orchestrating rich discussions at all levels is outstanding. Like thousands of other educators I am so grateful for your generosity of time and talent in sharing your work free of charge. Thank you!

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 11:25 am

Deb, I’m so very grateful for this comment! I will keep the materials coming on my blog. It’s great to share – and learn from – the math community.

36. Barb F. on November 10, 2020 at 9:55 am

I so appreciate all the time and effort you put into these activities just to share them out to others. My students in NJ love them!

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 11:27 am

I’m so happy to hear your that students in New Jersey love the materials. I will keep creating!

37. Cooper on November 9, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Hello Steve I am from Canada and am currently teaching Kindergarten online. It has been quite the learning curve so far! I wanted you to know how much the kids enjoyed the How many game pieces Esti challenge. We tried it today. We have been comparing quantity and learning about more and less, so I am looking forward to helping my students apply what they know about numbers to the concept of estimating. I love that all students can access these activities. It will be an excellent spring board for mathematical thinking and enable my students who are ready to challenge themselves further. I love challenging the students to explain why they chose certain numbers, or when looking at the clip board activities, explaining how and why they might adjust their estimate. Thank you for creating such rich math tools, I really appreciate it! Cooper.

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 11:59 am

I’m grateful for this message, Cooper. Explaining the reasoning is so important. I find that when students write down their estimate before discussing that the moment of writing serves as a powerful springboard for rich math talk. I appreciate this comment!

38. Marissa S Gumas on November 7, 2020 at 4:13 am

Thank you so much for doing this for us. I teach in MA at Blake Middle School, 7th grade math. These are all very useful. Thank You!!

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 12:12 pm

Hi, Marissa. I’m glad to hear 7th grade students in Massachusetts are enjoying the materials. I have some fun pictures in mind for upcoming Esti-Mysteries. I really appreciate the comment!

39. Louisa Shannon on November 6, 2020 at 2:31 pm

Hello, Steve! Thank you for the great resources. I tried Estimation Clipboard with my 7th and 8th graders this week and they enjoyed it! We are going to try EstiMysteries next week.

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 12:14 pm

This is great to hear! You’ll find them labeled by grade level, so it will be easy to find ones that will be a good fit for your students. If you are introducing them for the first time, you can also use one from an earlier level to show the process more quickly before jumping in to your grade level content.

40. Rebecca on November 6, 2020 at 7:14 am

Good Morning from South Carolina. I appreciate all you are doing to make resources available to teachers. I am so excited to do the Melting Cubes with my students on Monday. They love the Esti-Mysteries so I am sure they will enjoy the Melting Cubes as much as I do. Thank you for sharing your talents with everyone.

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 12:16 pm

Hi, Rebecca. I’m glad you are trying out the Melting Cubes with your class in South Carolina. That has been a favorite of mine for some time, so I’m so happy to share it out as one of the Friday Mystery Resources. I think you will really enjoy asking, “How else could you know?” and hearing a variety of amazing answers from your students. Just like in splat, that is the most important question in the resource. I really appreciate the comment!

41. Amy Stohs on November 6, 2020 at 6:36 am

This is incredible. Thanks so much for all of your resources. Students LOVE them!

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 12:17 pm

Hi, Amy. It is truly my pleasure to share!

42. Anne on November 6, 2020 at 2:19 am

You are wonderful to share your knowledge and resources. Thank you! My class ask for an Esti-mystery everyday. Provokes such great discussion!

Thank you all they way from New Zealand!

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Hi, Anne! I’ve wanted to visit New Zealand for many years! It’s fun to hear about your class using them. I will keep the resources coming. It’s cold with winter approaching where I live, so I will have a lot of time indoors to write many more materials. Thank you for letting me know that this is a daily routine for you. I really appreciate the comment!

43. Bobbie on November 5, 2020 at 3:10 pm

So very appreciated. I’m teaching Gr 5 in Ontario Canada. Your support and excellent Math content has brought joy in our classroom

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 12:29 pm

I’m so happy to hear this, Bobbie!

44. Anne Marie Kirby on November 5, 2020 at 10:07 am

Your work is so appreciated by myself and my students. They look you up on their own because we apparently do not do enough in class. Thank you so much for making it fun. They think I am the greatest teacher ever. From Canada.

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 12:30 pm

Thank you for sharing this! It sounds like they have a powerful love of math!

45. Andrea on November 5, 2020 at 6:21 am

Hi Steve, this area so awesome. I teach French Immersion and have been translating the esti-mysteries into French for my school (editing the slide decks you post). I am sure others would love to see these available in French…. I’ve left all credit to you and such, but I just want to be respectful of your work… Is it okay if I share them freely online with full credit to you?

• Steve Wyborney on November 15, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Hi, Andrea. Yes, this is certainly fine with me. Thank you for sharing them with others.

• Michelle on November 17, 2020 at 4:29 am

I completely agree! I would love to see these in French! Andrea, would you consider sharing with me? I teach grade 1/2 French Immersion in Nova Scotia.

• Steve Wyborney on November 17, 2020 at 7:08 pm

I’m so glad to hear this connection and that there is an opportunity to share ideas!

46. Ardeth on November 5, 2020 at 4:46 am

Thank you!!! I introduced esti-mysteries to my 5th grade class last week. My students and I loved it!! It is a great way for rich math talk in the classroom!!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 11:29 am

I’m so happy to hear this!

47. Zane on November 5, 2020 at 1:07 am

Hi, I am from Latvia but I am working in Japan as a team leader of mathematics in an international school. I really enjoy your resources and most importantly so do students. Thanks for all you do!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 11:31 am

Hi, Zane. It’s great to make a connection with you! I would love to visit either Latvia or Japan – or both! I’m so happy to be able to share these resources.

48. Jo Weir on November 5, 2020 at 12:04 am

Wow this is fantastic – ngā mihi (thank you) from new Zealand!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 11:31 am

Hi, Jo. You are certainly welcome!

49. Carolyn Dwyer on November 4, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Ever since I was introduced to Esti-Mysteries and Splat, I have been hooked. As a result, my students have been hooked as well. Thank you for creating a fun and creative, higher-thinking experience for our students. I love that there is no “right” or “wrong” as they work through their thought processes…everything is game and all thoughts guide us in the right direction. The BEST part is guiding them in creating their OWN Esti-Mysteries. They become the instructor and there is nothing more powerful than that.
    Thank you again for providing rich experiences for our mathematicians….so that ALL students feel like mathematicians.

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 9:56 pm

I’m so happy they are creating their own!

50. Christina Crees on November 4, 2020 at 6:45 pm

Hello, Christy here! I’m teaching virtual learners in Iowa. I have a range of age levels. I love using your work with my students. Your work is engaging and great for discussions even when we are doing it over a Zoom meeting. Thanks so much for sticking with us this year!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 9:57 pm

It’s my pleasure, Christina!

51. Ashley Brown on November 4, 2020 at 6:25 pm

Hi Steve! I am a 4th grade teacher in South Carolina. Thank you SO much for these amazing resources. I completed the 20 days of number sense and rich math talk with my 4th graders and they begged for more! I so appreciate your hard work in making these amazing resources available for educators!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 9:58 pm

Hi, Ashley! I’m so happy they enjoyed 20 Days of Number Sense and Rich Math Talk!

52. Tami Broomall on November 4, 2020 at 11:24 am

All of your work is so engaging for students! We really appreciate you sharing your talents with everyone.
    Where can I find Esti-Mystery 115. I seem to be missing it.

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 10:01 pm

What a great catch, Tami! I certainly didn’t mean to skip 115. I like that seems like a mystery of its own. “What happened to Esti-Mystery 115?” Hmmm… My wheels are turning with the possibilities form this. Thanks for the comment and the great question!

53. Melinda on November 4, 2020 at 11:11 am

I love esti-mysteries. I am still working throught the course. I am a sixth grade math teacher and I use them as warm ups. I can’t wait to see what you create for us middle school teachers. Thank you so much!

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 10:01 pm

Thanks, Melinda!

54. Ashley Stehn on November 4, 2020 at 9:36 am

Thank you so much, Steve. You are truly amazing. LOVE the estimation clipboards-my 2nd graders do too! They ask for them! Such a useful skill for them to compare the 4 different containers & see their estimates become more & more reasonable and accurate. Great way to help develop number sense.
    Really appreciate your generosity with sharing these awesome activities.

• Steve Wyborney on November 23, 2020 at 10:02 pm

Thanks, Ashley! They are really fun to create, and I’m glad your 2nd grade students love them so much!

55. Kendra Carlson on November 4, 2020 at 8:18 am

This is so, so wonderful! My 5th graders LOVE our “number sense” time of the day. Thank you for sticking with us and allowing this to be free. I am so very grateful!

56. JULIE SOUTH on November 4, 2020 at 7:30 am

I cannot tell you how happy this update made me this morning as we transition back to full remote in my building were I piloted in person learning half day/remote half day in the suburbs of IL. In both settings your number sense activities bring so much fun exictement and joy to mathemateics and learning. Having more of these number sense and fluency lessons at my fingertips for all learners to grow and stretch is just awesome! Thank you!

57. Lisa Kunde on November 4, 2020 at 7:08 am

Thank you so much! I love all of the resources you create and share and my students love them as well!

58. Myrna Karouni on November 4, 2020 at 6:57 am

Thank you very much for all your support, you are awesome!

59. Mary on November 4, 2020 at 6:30 am

My kids LOVE these! Thank you so much for all you’re doing!

60. Shannon Hollingsworth on November 4, 2020 at 6:24 am

My 6th grade students beg to do Esti-Mysteries! They will say ” We worked hard today. Can we please do an Esti-Mystery?”. I will act like I am having to think hard and decide if they can or not. I love that they ask to do them!! Thank you for this great resource!!

61. Marjorie on November 3, 2020 at 11:15 pm

Yes, I’d love to see these, great motivators!

62. Marjorie on November 3, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Yes, I would love to see these, great motivators!

63. Dawn Burke on November 3, 2020 at 5:22 pm

This is phenomenal! Thank you for all your work, from Toronto, Canada.

64. Sharon Rak on November 3, 2020 at 12:51 pm

Steve, you are the BEST! A GOOGOL of THANKS.

65. Mary Santilli on November 3, 2020 at 10:04 am

Thank you Steve! Your work is well designed and much appreciated!

66. Fadra Rogers on November 3, 2020 at 6:54 am

I love all your resources. I am a new math coach for K-4 but used Splat, Cube Conversations, Esti-Mysteries, everything…in my second-grade classroom. I am encouraging all our K-4 teachers to explore and find the various resources that push students’ thinking and reasoning. Thank you for giving so much to support the teachers in the classrooms.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:57 am

Hi, Fadra. Thank you for your encouragement and for sharing the resources with others!

• Vicki Thompson on November 3, 2020 at 9:09 pm

I greatly appreciate all of the resources you have put on your blog. I teach kindergarten and my kids get so excited when it is time to an estimate-mystery. These activities make learning and using math so fun and exciting. Thanks again!!!!

67. Susan on November 3, 2020 at 6:45 am

THANK YOU so much for all of your hard work! Everything you put out there is amazing and has added so much to my math curriculum. My students actually CHEER when I pull up Esti Mysteries or Splat. It’s awesome to see them really problem solve and be excited about learning. You have a gift and I thank you for sharing it!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:49 am

Thanks for the comment, Susan. I think that math joy and problem solving and powerful learning is such a great combination. Much more to come!

68. marianne on November 3, 2020 at 5:55 am

Thank you, Steve! This is amazing and so appreciated! My students always enjoy the activities… and they have to think without realizing that they are actually “working” 😉

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:28 am

Hi, Marianne. I’m so glad to hear how much your students enjoy these!

69. Susan Hernandez on November 3, 2020 at 5:54 am

My students absolutely love the Esti-Mysteries. As a math coach, I have introduced them to several teachers who also have begun using them. The number charts you provide are also extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing all your hard work!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:28 am

Thanks, Susan. I really appreciate your sharing them. In some of the esti-myteries I’ll embed number charts. That’s really helpful for me to hear.

70. Dottie Peters on November 3, 2020 at 5:00 am

Thank you for these amazing resources! I hope you know how much your work is appreciated and valued. My students have loved the activities and I love seeing their excitement and watching them grow their thinking. Thank you for your generosity in sharing these with educators everywhere, especially in these trying times.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:30 am

Hi, Dottie. It is my pleasure to share them. I love the phrase you used about seeing their excitement and watching them grow their thinking. Thank you for taking time to post a comment.

71. Sarah McHugh on November 3, 2020 at 4:49 am

Thank you so much for this. What an amazing resource! I used your Estimation Clipboard 41 with my Grade 1 class this morning and was amazed by how engaged my class were and how excited they were by their very close estimations by the time it came to the 4th slide.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:32 am

Thanks, Sarah. I’m so happy to hear this. I always love the sound of discussions, the sound of cheering, and that students are so excited by how good they are at estimating by the th slide. Thank you for leaving this comment!

72. Erin on November 2, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Awesome! My Kindy class and I can’t wait. Thanks for all your time and effort to put these together.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:35 am

I hope you love today’s Esti-Mystery. I ended up writing 2 for today (Tuesday) so that I could make one specifically for kindergarten

73. joanne on November 2, 2020 at 6:12 pm

We love all of your resources at Our Lady of the Snows in Canmore, Alberta, Canada – keep them coming! Just wondering, where should we look to find each day’s new resource?

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:36 am

To find each day’s new resource, scroll down to the date. For now that will work, but I know that in about a week or two that will begin to mean a lot of scrolling so I’ll begin to move the new resource for the day up to the top so it can be found quickly and easily.

74. Kerri on November 2, 2020 at 5:51 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the mysteries! It’s our favorite Friday activity. It incorporates so many skills and my students really enjoy them. Thank you!!!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:36 am

This makes my heart happy! Thank you!

75. Terri Reh on November 2, 2020 at 4:32 pm

I was hoping to do the spool Esti-Mystery, but the link takes you to a foam noodle activity. Is that correct?
    The spool one is more colorful.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:38 am

Hi, Terri. You’re right. The Monday link is to an Estimation Clipboard (with the 4 pictures) with foam pieces. The Esti-Mysteries this week (Nov. 2-6) will feature game pieces. The spool theme is coming soon. I think you will find the game piece esti-mysteries that are coming out this week to be very bright and colorful. Thanks for the comment.

76. Jane Hager on November 2, 2020 at 12:18 pm

Thank you, Steve. I’m using your Splat and Estimation Clipboard in my special ed resource classroom. I have been pleasantly surprised with the math discussion I am hearing. Your math support is really appreciated in this stressful time.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:40 am

Jane, thank you so much for letting me know. I love the math discussion and math joy that I hear from students.

77. Jeannette jackson on November 2, 2020 at 11:56 am

Are the answers revealed anywhere?

78. Jen on November 2, 2020 at 11:36 am

I discovered your website two years ago and I can’t live without it in my classroom now! My students absolutely LOVE your esti mysteries and cheer when they find out we are going to be doing one! Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful work. I am so appreciative.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:43 am

Thank you, Jen. I am so excited to share many more. This gives me so much joy hearing about the students’ love for them!

79. Jessica on November 2, 2020 at 9:43 am

Thank you so much for sharing these amazing resources!!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:41 am

Hi, Jessica. It is truly my pleasure to share them. Thank you for the comment. Wishing you a wonderful day!

80. Abigail Ross on November 2, 2020 at 8:38 am

THANK YOU! Today is our first day back in-person and everyone is nervous about covid. My students and I really enjoy all of the “Math Talk” and joy of doing the esti-mysteries. I bought your “class” this summer and made a few of my own, but after all of the screen-time of teaching from home last spring, took a break from the computer and didn’t made 100 – which was my plan. 🙂 I’ve been saving your esti-mysteries to do every Friday. Now we’ll be able to do one every day. I’m so grateful.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:45 am

Thanks, Abigail! I’m so happy to hear this. Wishing you a wonderful day!

81. Debbie Munoz on November 2, 2020 at 8:36 am

Thank you! You are a true friend to all of us teachers out here trying to keep real learning and engagement alive during the pandemic!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:45 am

I really appreciate this, Debbie!

82. Debbie K. on November 2, 2020 at 7:45 am

Thank you! We are in the middle of the 20 Days of Number Sense and the kids are loving them. Thank you for being so generous with your resources!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:46 am

I’m so happy to hear you are using 20 Days of Number Sense. It’s my pleasure to share them!

83. Michelle Butturini on November 2, 2020 at 7:25 am

Thank you Steve! My students are going to be super excited this morning that there is a new Esti-Mystery. What a great way to start a Monday.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:46 am

I really appreciate hearing this, Michelle. Wishing you a wonderful day!

84. Dawn on November 2, 2020 at 7:13 am

Steve, you are amazing! Thank you for all of the wonderful resources. My kids love your Esti-Mysteries!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:47 am

Thanks, Dawn! It’s great to hear of your students love for them!

85. Tiffany on November 2, 2020 at 6:14 am

This is amazing thank you so much. My students love esti-mysteries. They get so excited for the reveal. it is so nice to have something engaging for younger students.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:48 am

Thanks, Tiffany. I love that moment of the reveal and the sound of joy in the classroom. The room becomes so quiet right before the reveal… and then the cheering fills the room. I hope you have a wonderful day!

86. Sally on November 2, 2020 at 5:56 am

Thank you Steve – I appreciate your work and your willingness to share! I teach at an all girls school in New Jersey.

87. Roberta Cole on November 2, 2020 at 5:05 am

Unbelievable! I teach Spec Ed kids in gr 4-5 and they love these problems. Keeps them totally engaged.
    Thank you!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:53 am

I’m so happy to hear about the level of engagement, Roberta. Thank you for this comment!

88. lisa woughter on November 2, 2020 at 5:02 am

This is so helpful. Our school’s budget is maxed out, my work load is maxed out, and I am about maxed out! Thank you for helping bring some joy to the kiddos. They love these!!!!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:55 am

I understand and feel this as well, Lisa. I will keep them coming!

89. Janis L on November 2, 2020 at 4:14 am

Thank you!! My students love, love, LOVE Esti-Mysteries and the estimation clipboard! Quick, fun, and engaging for my in-person and distance learners! Kids have an extra need for fun and conversation right now and your activities fill that need while also developing number sense. If you are taking requests, we’d love some seasonal ones—candy corn, ornaments, candy hearts, etc. Thank you for making a huge mathematical impact in so many students!

90. Matt Jones on November 2, 2020 at 2:59 am

Steve, I so appreciate you man! I am taking my Alt Ed kiddos through your estimation clipboard. I tagged you in a post on the Youcubed FB Group page where I shared a template for doing the Number Concept Map so we can distance learn it easier. I love all of your resources, esp. Cube Conv, and Estimysteries

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 6:58 am

Hi, Matt. Thanks for posting in the YouCubed FB group and for creating a template for the number concept map – and sharing it with others. That’s a great idea to support students during distance learning. Love it! Thanks for the comment.

91. Sharon Leibowitz on November 2, 2020 at 12:11 am

Thanks Steve for all your wonderful work. I am from Melbourne Australia and we have been in lockdown for months . My kids have really appreciated your work. Our kids have just gone back to school and today we are semi out of lock down. We can now travel 25 kl from home instead of only 5 kl. I must say the trees and houses all look different and spectacular.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 7:02 am

Hi, Sharon. Thank you for sharing this with me. I really appreciate learning about the lives of fellow educators. Here in the US we are in the middle of autumn moving toward winter so (at least in the part of the country where I live) the leaves have mostly fallen. The daylight is getting shorter and shorter. I have some favorite seasons, but I always enjoy the change into a new one. I hope you have a wonderful day!

92. Kaira on November 1, 2020 at 11:58 pm

Hi Steve.
    I’m a student from Trinidad and Tobago. In our spare time my mom and I provide additional support for struggling teachers and student.
    Most schools (preschool to University) are now fully online so it’s been very difficult to engage with the students/ teachers after their school day.
    Thank you for this support.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 7:03 am

Thank you for this comment. I hope this resource will be very helpful.

93. Lynn C on November 1, 2020 at 11:21 pm

Well done, Steve. Many thanks…a huge commitment on your part. But health and strength to you. Best wish and lots of fun to you, teachers and all the budding Mathmeticians!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 7:03 am

Thank you, Lynn. I very much appreciate this!

94. Lou de Beuzeville on November 1, 2020 at 11:18 pm

Wow. I hope you’ve gotten ahead. Or that’s a big pressure to put on yourself! So appreciated though.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 7:04 am

I’ve taken some pictures in advance, but as of the moment I’m writing the Esti-Mysteries as I go. I really love writing them so will probably be able to work ahead as I go.

95. Marcia A. on November 1, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Thank you, your resources are so helpful!

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 7:05 am

It’s my pleasure, Marcia! Thank you for the comment.

96. Vincent Albanese on November 1, 2020 at 10:40 pm

Steve,
    From all the way across the globe (Australia) we send many, many thanks.

• Steve Wyborney on November 3, 2020 at 7:05 am

Hi, Vincent. I really appreciate this comment. It’s certainly my pleasure to share them. Have a wonderful day!