Splat! for Google Slides – 40 Lessons

More Free Animated Math Lessons Coming Soon!

Subscribe to get the latest content by email.

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

For my educator friends who have access to Google Slides, but do not have access to PowerPoint, this post is for you.  Since Google Slides does not have the animation that makes the Splats become transparent, the Splat! reveal does not work in Slides.  Now – with these materials – it will.  I’ve rewritten the first 20 Splat! lessons and the first 20 Fraction Splat! lessons with a different method so they will now include the reveal when using Google Slides.

The content of the lessons is the same as the original lessons.

Visit these links to see the original videos about how to use the Splat! and the Fraction Splat! slides.

Quick Note:  The file sharing power of Google Drive is impressive and highly useful.  However, for the purposes of sharing these resources, I need to use a method that I can personally maintain, update and support – and I’ve learned that the best way to provide resources from my blog is through the download links and the sign-up forms.

I hope you enjoy these Splats! formatted to work in Google Slides!

Splat Through 10
How many dots are under the Splat?

Splat 1.1   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 1.2   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 1.3   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 1.4   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 1.5   –   Google Slides Compatible Version

Splat Through 20
How many dots are under the Splat?

Splat 2.1   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 2.2   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 2.3   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 2.4   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 2.5   –   Google Slides Compatible Version

Multiple Splats
Note:  Splats that are the same color must cover the same number.

Splat 3.1   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 3.2   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 3.3   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 3.4   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 3.5   –   Google Slides Compatible Version

Instant Multiple Splat
Note:  An additional feature of this level is the opportunity to ask, “What could the total be?”

Splat 4.1   –  Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 4.2   –  Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 4.3   –  Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 4.4   –  Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 4.5   –  Google Slides Compatible Version

Fraction Splat!

Note:  These lessons use a single splat along with a mixture of unit fractions and whole numbers.  In Level 11, you control the Splat!

Splat! 11.1   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 11.2   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 11.3   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 11.4   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 11.5   –   Google Slides Compatible Version

Instant Fraction Splat!

Note:  These lessons use a single Splat! which appears at the same moment as the whole numbers and fractions.  Each question instantly presents missing information.

Splat 12.1   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 12.2   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 12.3   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 12.4   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 12.5   –   Google Slides Compatible Version

Multiple Splats! with Fractions

Note:  These lessons include multiple Splats! and you control the timing of the Splats!  The entire screen can be seen, the total can be determined, and then Splat!  Remember:  Each Splat! that is the same color must be covering the same number.

Splat 13.1   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 13.2   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 13.3   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 13.4   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 13.5   –   Google Slides Compatible Version

Multiple Instant Splats! with Fractions

Note:  These lessons use multiple Splats! which appear at the same moment as the whole numbers and fractions.  Each question instantly presents missing information.  Remember:  Each Splat! that is the same color must be covering the same number.

Splat 14.1   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 14.2   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 14.3   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 14.4   –   Google Slides Compatible Version
Splat 14.5   –   Google Slides Compatible Version

26 Comments

1. Chantal Vinson on September 26, 2019 at 11:23 am

Hi,
    I came across your website this summer at the virtual math conference. A big focus at our school this year is to make sure number talks are implemented consistently. The Splat activity is a big favorite! One of our first grade teachers even created construction paper splats for her students and now they create splat questions for each other.
    Do you have Splat activities that could help building fluency with multiplication? I was imagining the boxed number being 32 and on the outside of the splat there would be 2 circles with 8 dots in each. Under the splat there would also be 2 circles with 8 dots in each.

I look forward to trying some of the different activities. They are so engaging!

• Steve Wyborney on September 29, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Great question! I haven’t released any multiplication splats. However, I would recommend taking a look at the levels 3.1 (and up) and 4.1 (and up) because there are some really good opportunities in there. Here is the link: https://stevewyborney.com/2017/02/splat/

2. Marc Le Brun on March 27, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Hi Steve,
    Just thought I’d point out that in Splat 14.1, slide 6 is incorrect I believe…. I think the total should be 10 (or else the value under each splat should be 2 and 1/12).
    These Splats are great.I love how they go from primary through lower intermediate! Thanks so much for creating them.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on April 11, 2019 at 6:35 am

Hi, Marc. I just looked it up and I agree. The total should be 10. Nice catch! I really appreciate it!

• Lori Myers on April 23, 2019 at 7:46 am

My kids and I just caught this yesterday! Will you be changing it? If so, will I need to download it again? I was so excited when you put these into Google Slides as that is what we have available to us at school. I put many of them into my Google drive and that is why I’m wondering if I would need to put any corrected versions in again.

3. Brent Sutherland on January 27, 2019 at 10:52 am

If I am going to use pattern blocks with the slides for differentiation purposes, what would each child need? To create a set? With limited #’s of pattern blocks, I see that my students may have to combine or add to create a different version of what they see. or is there a generic set I could try to accumulate?

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on February 20, 2019 at 8:30 pm

You may want to use 1 set of pattern blocks for every 2 students. That would provide a rich opportunity for discourse as the students share and discuss the set.

4. Debbie Darling on December 1, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Hi,
    Could you tell me what I’m doing wrong? I click on the links above, and they still open pptx. Do I then do something to change format? I’m sorry!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 22, 2018 at 9:26 am

Hi, Debbie! You are not doing anything wrong. The Splat for Google Slides documents are actually PowerPoint documents that only use animations that are recognize by Google Slides. After you download them, just save them in your google drive, open them with google slides, and click present. Thanks for reaching out with this important question!

5. Beverly Beardsley on October 23, 2018 at 6:22 am

Hi Steve! I am very excited to use the first Splat lessons with my Kindergarteners. I can’t seem to get the splat to disappear and reveal what’s underneath as the 5th speech bubble indicates. Am I missing something?

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on October 23, 2018 at 6:49 am

Hi, Beverly. It’s likely that the solution will be found in this sequence. I’ll write it out in detail so I don’t miss an important step that might hold the answer for you.
      If you are using google slides, be sure that you a have downloaded the Splats that are specifically written for google slides. You can tell the difference because the splats for google slides have orange text boxes and the orange text boxes are all in the same location in the top left corner. If you have the original splats that I wrote for PowerPoint, the text boxes are yellow and move down the left side. Here is the link to the google slides version, just in case: https://stevewyborney.com/?p=1583 When you have downloaded the google slides version save them in your google drive. Then you can open them up with slides. Click Present and it will begin playing. As you are going through it, when it says, “Let’s look under the splat…” you should be just one more click away. On the next next, the Splat should become transparent. Again, this will only work in google slides with the ones that have orange text boxes. I hope that helps. Let me know how it works.
      Thanks,
      Steve

6. Kidan on October 4, 2018 at 8:20 pm

I’m excited to use this with my children! Is the explanatory video for Splats available elsewhere (I didn’t find it on YouTube)? The format does not seem to be working on this site.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on October 9, 2018 at 6:39 am

Great question! Even if you download the splats from the google slides post, the video on the original post will still be very helpful. Here it is: https://stevewyborney.com/?p=893

7. Jeremiah Ruesch on September 9, 2018 at 10:28 am

Steve,
    You pursuit of experiences and your sharing of your gifts are a precious commodity that I am honored to know and be able to share. Thanks for your continued work and sacrifice in making fantastic resources, the conversion to G-Slides is great, and I’m very impressed. Always top notch work my friend, well done. Also, I hope you are well and I hope to hear from you soon.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on September 27, 2018 at 9:41 pm

Thanks, Jeremiah!

8. Cheryl Rys on September 6, 2018 at 11:32 pm

I love the idea of using splat with google slides for my kindergartners. I need a bit of tech support. I downloaded the slides but don’t know how to include them in my math slide presentations. Usually I can import slides, but first they need to be in my google account.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on September 7, 2018 at 6:28 am

Hi Cheryl,

I think if you save them in your google drive you’ll be able to open them from there and then make the changes that you want. In this case you may want to open both of the slide shows you are working with so that you can move slides back and forth (or copy and paste the slides from one slide show to the other.

9. Sharon on September 4, 2018 at 11:15 pm

Excellent resource! Making fractions much easier for my yr 4 and 5 students. Thank you.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on September 7, 2018 at 6:29 am

I’m so happy to share!

10. Lisa Clark on September 3, 2018 at 11:08 am

Thank you! I am so excited to use Splat! with my class this year. We have Chromebooks, so the new format is perfect!!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on September 7, 2018 at 6:31 am

I’m glad to hear it! I know there are many others with Chromebooks and it’s nice to hear that this will be helpful! Thanks for the comment!

11. K on September 2, 2018 at 8:44 am

Thank you so much for sharing!!

12. Wendy on September 1, 2018 at 11:34 pm

Thank you so much. I have loved your work, but the format wasn’t practical for me to use with my class. This is just what I was hoping for. Can’t wait to hear the student talk generated.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on September 2, 2018 at 8:45 am

Hi Wendy,
      I’m so happy this will work better for you. I’d love to hear how it goes!

• Debbie Darling on December 1, 2018 at 2:56 pm

Hi,

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 6, 2018 at 6:36 am

Hi Debbie,

You are doing everything correctly. They are PowerPoint files that will work in google slides. Just save them in your google drive, open them with slides, and then start the presentation and everything will work. I’ve only used PowerPoint animations on these particular files that slides will recognize so everything will work.