Esti-Mysteries: Estimation Meets Math Mysteries

Introducing Esti-Mysteries!  Each image invites students to wonder what number is represented by the image.  As you click through the each Esti-Mystery, clues will appear that will allow the students to use math concepts to narrow the set of possibilities to a small set of numbers.  In the end, the students will need to call upon their estimation skills to solve the mystery and find the missing number.

Here is an example:

Download the Esti-Mysteries, try them in your class, and let me know about your experience.

Update:  Here are 4 printable charts you may enjoy using with Esti-Mysteries.

Update:  Here is the full set of Esti-Mysteries clues (without images) to allow you to browse through the Esti-Mystery Concepts.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @stevewyborney

Esti-Mystery #1

Esti-Mystery #2

Esti-Mystery #3

Esti-Mystery #4   ***This is the one where the numbers on the dice are first used as a clue.

Esti-Mystery #5

Esti-Mystery #6   ***The most challenging one yet!

Esti-Mystery #7  “The Dice Jam”

Esti-Mystery #8  “Bright Beads”

Esti-Mystery #9  “Cupside Down”
***This one that may lead to the greatest debate and surprise at the end.

Esti-Mystery #10 “Yellow Yarn”

The Smaller Number Series

This next Esti-Mysteries was requested for a kindergarten class.  Enjoy!

Esti-Mystery:  The Smaller Numbers Request   ***This is a great one to use with kindergarten students.

Sinker?  (The Smaller Numbers Series)

Other Posts and Resources Which May Be of Interest

Splat!  (50 downloadable, animated lessons)

The Fraction Splat! Series (with 20 more downloadable lessons)

Splat! for Google Slides (This is the one you want if you don’t have PowerPoint but do have Google Slides.)

Cube Conversations  (80 downloadable, animated lessons)

Tiled Area Questions

Thank you for visiting my blog!

All my best,

Steve

P.S.  Please feel free to post your reflections in the comments below.

58 Comments

1. April Pillsbury-Lloyd on March 13, 2019 at 6:19 am

I’ve used estimation clipboard and the esti-mysteries with my multi-grade classroom (2nd-8th). My kids love the esti-mysteries, so we made our own. Any ideas where we could set up a repository of student created challenges?

2. Maria on February 17, 2019 at 2:00 am

Steve,
    Hello from Hong Kong! Thank you for the esti-mysteries, so much fun! I introduce it at the beginning of the week, then I leave a print out on the board with all the clues so everyone has a chance to think about it, then we have a reveal later in the week. Oh, the suspense! I will also use them at our ‘family fun Math night’ later this week – I’ll make sure I give you cred 🙂
    I saw in a previous post that a teacher will have the kids create some – that’s a great idea, I am planning on having the G4s create them for my G3s.
    Thank you for sharing – love your blog!
    Maria

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on February 20, 2019 at 8:18 pm

Thanks, Maria. I’m so happy to hear that these are being used in Hong Kong! Having the students create the Esti-Mysteries is a very rich and rewarding experience. Thank you for the kind words and for taking time to leave a comment.

3. John and Maya on January 27, 2019 at 9:10 am

Thanks Steve,
    my daughter enjoys your esti mysteries. She wrote one for you with a unique solution.

Jar of sweets
    Clue 1: It is a 2 digit number
    Clue 2: Both digits are odd
    Clue 3: It is not a prime number
    Clue 4: If you add the digits you get 6
    Clue 5: The last digit is smaller than the first.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on February 20, 2019 at 8:34 pm

I am so honored. I have worked through all the clues, considered the possibilities, and I believe the answer might be 51. I would love to hear if this is correct. That was very fun!

4. Michelle on January 24, 2019 at 12:51 pm

Hi Steve, My students are loving the Esti-Mysteries! It’s like a party at the beginning of class. Today we completed Esti-Mystery #10, “Yellow Yarn”. One of my students said, “I think I have this guy figured out. He left us a clue! The number skipped was 12 and we were counting by 6, so my first estimation was 72.” HMMMMM, coincidence or truth?????

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on February 20, 2019 at 8:37 pm

I remember considering making that a clue, but thought it jumped too quickly to the answer. I did wonder if anyone would notice that, and now I know! Great catch! I a impressed!

5. Mark Martin on January 16, 2019 at 9:52 am

I used them with my 7th grade Math Connections class, they loved them! I then tried them with my Honors Math 7/8 class…they loved them too! Great way to connect with all levels of students in a fun way! Thanks Steve.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on January 18, 2019 at 6:41 am

Hi, Mark. This is great to hear. I really aim to share materials that can be used across a range of levels, and I’m glad to hear how much your students are embracing them. I’ll be posting more that I think your students will really like – and that will launch some powerful math discourse.

6. AJ Wall on December 19, 2018 at 11:43 am

This is awesome! Is there a way to share it with me through google drive or email? I’m not sure how to download it.

Thanks so much!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 21, 2018 at 6:47 am

Hi, AJ. To download it, click the blue link above each picture. Then click the blue link on the download page and then it should download right to your computer. Let me know if you have any trouble with that process. Thanks for commenting.

• AJ Wall on December 21, 2018 at 10:07 am

Thanks so much! I didn’t see that before. I’ve them now – can’t wait to try them!

• Sara Ostrander on January 29, 2019 at 7:53 am

Hello…I really want to try one of these with my students but cannot get the reveal to cooperate. I may try it anyway but seems like it would be better with a reveal. Any suggestions?
        Thank you.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on February 20, 2019 at 8:28 pm

Great question. 9 times out of 10 the solution lies in going back and making sure that the show is playing. You can use most of the slides just by clicking through, but the reveal slide in particular requires that the show is playing to work.

• cp on January 17, 2019 at 1:02 pm

These are so great. My students love them. Will you be making more that are directed towards the younger years?

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on January 18, 2019 at 6:40 am

Yes, I have more for the younger years. I’m looking forward to posting them.

7. Sharon Enea on December 19, 2018 at 9:57 am

This is great! I tried my first EstiMystery today with my small groups! It was a big hit! The math conversations were amazing and lead to increased student number sense! Thank you so much!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 21, 2018 at 6:49 am

Hi, Sharon. It’s great to hear this! Thank you for letting me know. There are more to come soon!

8. Kris Weir on December 17, 2018 at 3:06 pm

My 4th graders have loved these and ask daily if new Esti-Mysteries are available. They have even started making their own for their buddy class and the Kindergarten classes at our school. Thanks for inspiring them!

9. Linda Colletti on December 12, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Hi Steve,
    I would love it if you would make more smaller numbers Esti-Mysteries. I teach Kindergarten and these would be so good for them.
    Thanks.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 13, 2018 at 8:57 pm

Hi Linda,
      I have several more that I’ll share soon. It sounds like I should bump one of the kindergarten versions to the top of the list. Hopefully you’ll see one soon!

• Linda Colletti on December 13, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Excellent, thanks so much!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 22, 2018 at 8:55 am

My pleasure, Linda! Thank you for leaving a comment!

• Morgan on December 18, 2018 at 10:49 am

I did the eraser one with my 1st graders and they loved it! I would love some more of these designed for younger grades.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 21, 2018 at 6:55 am

Thanks, Morgan. I’ll be making more soon.

10. K on December 12, 2018 at 8:57 pm

Hi Steve, Thank you so much for all of the time and effort that you put into creating these presentations. My fourth graders love them! We use them nearly every day for our morning warm-ups or number talks. The are the fuel for some wonderful math conversations and I think it is wonderful that you keep them free. Thank you for being so generous and for supporting busy teachers with such high quality resources.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 13, 2018 at 8:58 pm

My pleasure! I’m really glad to hear how much your students love them and also how they are having such rich conversations!

11. Linda Colletti on December 12, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Hi Steve,
    I would love it if you would do more smaller numbers Esti-Mysteries. I teach Kindergarten and these would be so good or them.
    Thanks.

12. Patti Kleinhanzl on December 11, 2018 at 10:21 am

I did this with a group of third graders. They cheered so loudly when they got the answer correct, that the teacher next door had to come and see what we are doing. I’m now going to do the lesson with her class tomorrow!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 13, 2018 at 9:00 pm

I love it! What a great way to spread the enthusiasm! If I heard cheering in the next classroom I would go find out what was going on, too.
      Thanks for sharing!

13. iuliia on December 11, 2018 at 9:54 am

Great slides, but the red “reveal” box does not disappear… not sure if that is how it should work…

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 13, 2018 at 9:01 pm

If you play the PowerPoint, it should disappear at the end. However, if it doesn’t a simple trick is (when it’s not playing) to simple drag the box off of the number that is below it.

14. Jaime on November 30, 2018 at 6:58 am

Help! I can’t get the answer to reveal for esti-mystery 6! Am I doing something wrong?

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 6, 2018 at 6:40 am

Hi Jamie,

I just caught this comment and will put the answer at the end in case you can’t find it there. The answer is to be sure the PPT is playing so that it will make the red reveal box disappear. A 2nd option is to slide the red box out of the way. If all of that doesn’t work 70.

15. Terry Bolduc on November 30, 2018 at 4:45 am

My fifth graders are loving the Esti-Mysteries. I have a group of students who leave my classroom for math Enrichment 3 out of the four days a week when I do them with the rest of the class and they have asked me if I can find another time for them to do the mysteries they’ve missed. Engaging and educational – winning combination. Thank you so much for sharing everything that you do on your Blog.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 6, 2018 at 6:41 am

Thank you, Terry! I really appreciate it!

16. Trish on November 29, 2018 at 3:40 pm

Thank you! Tried these on a whim today with sixth graders. Only did the first two; they cheered when they got them correct. They want to make their own. Thanks for making 32 kids and one teacher smile big today!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 6, 2018 at 6:41 am

I appreciate the comment. You returned the smile to me with your words!

17. john Oberman on November 19, 2018 at 3:27 am

Excellent

18. john Oberman on November 19, 2018 at 3:26 am

Superb and challenging.

19. Patricia on November 16, 2018 at 6:48 pm

We just did Esti-Mysteries at SCCTM with the closing keynote! Trying it in my classroom Monday morning!

20. Christina on November 16, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your amazing blog and the new Esti-Mysteries. I have done all four with my grade 4 students and they love them! All I have to do is put the next one up and they get psyched about math. Please keep posting them! My next step is to have my students create their own and share with other classes.

Thanks,
    Christina

• Erin on December 12, 2018 at 10:24 pm

I am doing just this- students are using technology, math, and reasoning to create and post their own! (They are on a mission to “stump” the other students..wow!

21. Laura Vittum on November 15, 2018 at 9:16 am

You inspired one of my students to make her own!

22. Nicola on November 14, 2018 at 4:41 am

Used this today with my Year 1 class – they loved it. Lots of thinking about the 3s counting pattern and great discussion about how you can document your initial options and then work systematically to cross them off as each new clue helps to lead to the answer. I loved it too!

23. Christina M Caceres on November 13, 2018 at 12:10 pm

I did this as a spur of the moment with my kids after reading your email about them. They were a hit!!! My students were on the edge of their seats waiting for their next clue and the discussion that emerged from two potential “right” answers was priceless. Based on the image, which is reasonable? I cannot wait to try the next one.

24. Jesse Goodglass on November 13, 2018 at 11:11 am

Love it! Tried it this morning with my 4th graders and they had a blast figuring it out. Thanks so much for these resources you are putting together. They are fantastic opportunities for building number sense through visual representations. Thanks again!

25. Beth Drake on November 13, 2018 at 11:05 am

Hi There,
    My 5th graders loved it so much that they were begging for more:) It pushed them to think and they loved it.. Thanks

26. Michelle on November 13, 2018 at 10:02 am

My students loved it! There were so many things to unpack, multiples, even/odd, etc. They immediately wanted to do another one when we were finished! Thank you so much, can’t wait for more!

27. Bev Bolnick on November 13, 2018 at 8:21 am

HI, Have you posted Esti 2 yet?

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on November 19, 2018 at 6:53 am

Yes, 1-4 are posted, and I’m planning to post #5 tonight. Thank you!

28. Meghan on November 13, 2018 at 8:05 am

Awesome new resource! Thank you

29. Margot on November 13, 2018 at 2:41 am

My class were so excited to do the first one today Steve. Thank you for your fantastic resources.

30. Tracy Keirns on November 12, 2018 at 8:30 pm

We did your first Esti-Mystery today and the students LOVED using the clues to figure out the answer! Thank you so much for sharing all of your resources with us. The students get so excited when they know we are going to “play” one of your math activities.

31. Vicky Kennard on November 12, 2018 at 2:42 pm

Love this idea. Can see howe after a few of these the students will really see how to estimate rather than guess.

32. Kristin Tupper on November 12, 2018 at 2:12 pm

This looks great! I can’t wait to try this tomorrow. Thank you again for another wonderful free resource!

33. Tamara Stamey on November 12, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Thank you for another great task that helps to make math visible and allows for discourse! Looking forward to future esti-mystery posts!

34. Evan Engwall on November 12, 2018 at 9:13 am

Hi Steve,

I love the Esti-Mystery (as well as your other resources)! I’ve been using them with my students and sharing them with my colleagues.

I was thinking that 15 would technically be a correct answer to the first Esti-Mystery—but only if you don’t try to count the objects, since there are obviously more that 15. Hopefully, this will generate a friendly little math fight or two…