The Maze Hundreds Chart

The Maze Hundreds Chart is a resource that is surprisingly powerful and leads to some very unexpected learning opportunities.

Much like The Animated Multiplication Table, this is a free, downloadable resource that will cause you to see an old, familiar chart in some new and surprising ways.

Watch the video, download the interactive resource, and then take a look at the next blog post which will feature a variety of types of questions which you may never have been able to ask your students before seeing this resource.

NOTE:  Because this is a triggered PowerPoint document, it will need to be played in PowerPoint in order to have the interactivity shown in the video.

CLICK HERE to download the Maze Hundreds Chart.

Update!  The Follow-up Post is Ready:  Strategies for Using the Maze Hundreds Chart.

As always, I would treasure seeing pictures of your classroom that show how you use this resource.  If you decide to take a picture, email it to me or connect with me on Twitter @stevewyborney

Another very popular blog post is Splat!  I’m giving away 50 (fifty!) animated number sense lessons in this runaway blog post.

You may also be interested in Math Imposter Sets, which includes a video and downloadable resources.

Introducing Cube Connectors features another downloadable resource which may also be of interest to you.

Another popular resource is Provide Massive Space to Notice.

You will receive the latest updates as soon as they are posted!

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.

maze-hundreds-chart-pic

20 Comments

1. Emma Sharman on April 2, 2019 at 3:13 am

Hi Steve
    I use your Maths Talks already and have just been shown the Maze 100 square. However, when I download it, I get a 100 square in powerpoint but I can’t see how it is interactive and all numbers are shown in white boxes. Where am I going wrong please?
    Thanks

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on April 11, 2019 at 6:42 am

Hi, Emma. They key is to be sure that the slide is playing in PowerPoint. It will only become interactive when the slide show is playing. I hope that helps.

• Aimee on August 23, 2019 at 4:52 am

I am having the same issue when I press ‘Present’. It just shows a hundreds chart. It also doesn’t show all the little boxes within each numbered box when I initially open it. Perhaps it has something to do with using a chromebook?

• Steve Wyborney on August 24, 2019 at 8:27 am

Hi, Aimee. Yes, unfortunately, the maze hundreds chart uses animations that are specific to PowerPoint. There aren’t any matching animations in Google Slides that work. If I find a way to make it work in slides I will certainly create it.

2. Jane Mohr on March 31, 2019 at 12:18 am

Thanks so much for all these incredible resources. Great to look at fresh ideas for teaching maths.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on April 11, 2019 at 6:39 am

Hi, Jane. It is my pleasure to share these out! Have a wonderful day!

3. Vicki on December 18, 2018 at 10:33 pm

Hello Steve,
    I learned about your program at NCTM last year and I love it. However I am having a hard time downloading the Estimation Clipboard bundles. Has anyone else had issues? I love using your resources with my kiddos but I cannot access anything right now. Are they available via Google drive?
    Hope to hear from you soon.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 21, 2018 at 6:53 am

Hi, Vicki. I just took a look at it and I think it’s all set. Just click on the blue link, such as “Bundle 1…” which will take you to the download page. Then click on the blue link on that page which will begin the download process. Here is the link to the clipboard series: https://stevewyborney.com/?p=1483

4. Heather on December 18, 2018 at 9:08 am

This is such a creative but simple tool. Was planning on using it with a 2nd grade small group today, but I noticed 1st graders filling in smaller number grids when I walked into their classroom (I teach K-5 Title 1 Math) and decided to throw it out there for 1st graders. I had 1st graders learning to count by 2s! They could calculate 10 more or 10 less! Notice patterns! These are all 2nd grade state standards for us. I was so impressed and this was just during my first time using it for only like 20 minutes. Can’t wait to use it more and excited for the new number sense building resource in my back pocket.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 21, 2018 at 6:59 am

Thanks for letting me know about this, Heather! This is great to hear!

5. Elizabeth Brandenburg on April 27, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Steve – is there anyway you could make the outline of the boxes white instead of blue? It is very hard to see the lines in some of our classrooms even with the lights off. Thanks bunches!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on May 2, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Yes, I can easily do that. I’ll email you a copy!

6. DeLaina Ellis on March 23, 2017 at 1:17 pm

This is awesome! I was wondering if it would be possible to recreate this resource for exploring decimal relationships. For example a 10 chart that would count 0, 0.1, 0.2… up to 10. Another great idea is a 1 chart that would count by hundredths up to 1: 0.00, 0.01, 0.02 up to 1.

Is this something that I could easily recreate from this resource?

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on March 26, 2017 at 8:47 am

Hi DeLaina,

Yes, could easily create those variations from this resource. The chart can easily be edited so that would work very nicely. The one challenge you’ll find right away will be that the numbers may not fit in the boxes. However, you can easily resize them so that they will fit. To do that, I recommend (in windows) selecting all of the boxes and then holding down SHIFT and CTRL at the same time, then while stile holding them down, tapping on < until the text you want fits in the boxes without wrapping.

7. Karla Laurence on October 11, 2016 at 10:27 am

Thank you for the maze!! I can tell my students is a mystery 🙂 2nd graders love mysteries.

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on October 11, 2016 at 4:20 pm

You are welcome! The mystery concept is a great approach!

8. Denise Spieler on October 11, 2016 at 9:03 am

I am having trouble as well with the download. Can’t wait to use it!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on October 11, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Hi, Denise. Try clicking on this link, then clicking on the blue link that appears. If it doesn’t work there may be something like a pop-up blocker in the way. If it doesn’t work let me know, and I’ll email it to you. Thanks for letting me know! https://stevewyborney.com/?attachment_id=802

9. Kate on October 10, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Steve,
    This looks awesome! I’m a math coach at a school for the Deaf and I would love to share it with my staff, however it doesn’t seem to function within Google Slides or Keynote. Any suggestions for someone who doesn’t have access to MS PowerPoint?