Strategies for Using the Maze Hundreds Chart

After introducing the downloadable Maze Hundreds Chart yesterday, this post details some strategies for using the interactive chart in your classroom.  If you have not yet watched the first post, I encourage you to take a quick look at it before viewing these strategies.

I have many more resources I am excited to share, so I encourage you to subscribe to the blog so that you will be notified as soon as they are posted.  Then you will be able to use them in your classroom right away.

Here are some strategies for using The Maze Hundreds Chart.

You can download The Maze Hundreds Chart here.

You may also enjoy the post that surprises many readers entitled “How to Create 9 Identical Dot Patterns in 10 Seconds or Less.

Another downloadable resource I recommend is 180 Opportunities to Notice.

Thank you for your time!  If you find these resources valuable, I encourage you to take a moment to subscribe to the blog so you will be notified as soon as I post more resources for you to download.

You will receive the latest updates as soon as they are posted!

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

maze-strategy-pic

15 Comments

1. Heidi Kattner on August 25, 2019 at 6:41 am

Hi Steve!

I first “met” you during Christina Tondevold’s Virtual Math Summit, and have been happily reading and downloading since! Thank you for sharing such wonderful ideas and insights for teachers to expand students’ understanding and thinking about math!
    I am wondering if you have plans to flip your 100’s chart maze with the recent discussions about having the 100 at the top rather than the bottom?

• Steve Wyborney on August 27, 2019 at 6:28 am

Hi, Heidi. I’ve considered posted several variations including flipping the hundreds chart. If I post that one I’ll leave the original on there so there would be options for anyone who finds it useful both ways. It sounds like you would be interested in having that copy?

2. Andrea on August 24, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Hello! I watched the video and love this maze hundreds chart however I am unable to use it the way that the video showed it (highlighting numbers as to where the students can start counting etc for example). It is downloaded as a power point so how can I convert this file into an interactive one? Thank you so much!

• Steve Wyborney on August 27, 2019 at 6:26 am

Hi, Andrea. The maze hundreds chart – unfortunately – is only interactive in PowerPoint. I haven’t yet figured out a combination of animations that will work in Google Slides. If you have powerpoint, be sure to go to slide show then view show and it will work.

3. Nicola Petty on July 25, 2019 at 5:39 pm

HI Steve
    I’ve made an adaptation of this using the multiplication table instead and find it fascinating. I plan to talk about it on my blog, along with your original hundreds chart. Is that ok with you?

• Steve Wyborney on August 20, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Certainly!

4. Kieran Zastrow on February 8, 2019 at 2:41 pm

SO I discovered your Blog and your Maze Hundreds chart last week as I was looking for your Esti-mysteries and absolutely LOVE it! I think I spent 5 hours of my winter weather day off of school just exploring all the amazing things you offer! Would you ever consider making that chart into a 120’s chart? The second grade group I work with would really appreciate it! Thank you for considering it!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on February 20, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Yes, I actually have a copy of the interactive 120 chart. I think I need to post it now.

• Tara Russell on February 21, 2019 at 8:21 am

Woo-hoo! You are AMAZING!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on February 23, 2019 at 9:14 am

Thank you for your kind words, Tara!

5. Tara Taylor Russell on December 4, 2018 at 8:06 am

Steve, any thoughts on making an interactive bottom up 120 chart?!

6. Mona Viteri Harutunian on November 30, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Thank you for sharing this amazing tool. I can’t wait to use it with my students.

Mona

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on December 4, 2016 at 8:47 am

You’re welcome, Mona! You may well find that the more you use the Maze Hundreds Chart, the more types of questions you are able to ask. It feels like the chart itself leads to a discovery journey. Enjoy!

7. Margaret Volak on October 9, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Can’t wait to try!

• stevewyborney@gmail.com on October 9, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Excellent! Thanks, Margaret! I would love to see pictures of your screen showing the patterns that you create!